7 Ways I Plan to Make This Christmas Season a Happy One for My Teens

By: Katie BinghamSmith

The holiday season is my absolute favorite time of year. I realize 2020 has put a big huge damper on things and a lot of people are struggling– nothing feels the same and there are things we used to do that we aren’t able to do any longer.

The holiday season is my favorite time of year. (Katie Smith)

I love the Christmas season

But I have to hang onto these silver linings and the last thing I want to do is take something that always brings me and my family joy, for granted.

The holidays are something to look forward to and although we may not be able to do some of things we used to like traveling to see family members or go to lots of parties, there are some things we can do to make the holidays feel special because Lord knows, we all deserve it.

Seven ways to make the holidays special this year

1.We can slow down.

I think I’m looking forward to this the most. I mean, we’ve gotten pretty good at it because we haven’t had much of a choice, but for many families there’s a sense of togetherness and less rushing through the days. This will leave lots of room to really take the season in.

2. We can do things with intention.

There is more time to be at home with family and some things are starting to open up. We can pick and choose and plan accordingly. And because we aren’t rushing around trying to do all the things, the events we can do will feel special.

3. We can improvise.

Maybe you can’t go to the movies, or go see The Nutcracker, but there are great things to watch right from the comfort of your own home like Lifetime holiday movies. I don’t know about you, but snuggling at home in my pajamas enjoying a festive movie with all our favorite snacks feels just as special as getting dressed up and going out.

4. We all have a lot to be thankful for this year.

I think many people have realized just what’s important this year. We are thankful for our jobs, homes, and our health more than ever before. It’s been a tough year and many of us are still struggling since we don’t know what’s next and nothing feels normal. But playing out old traditions can bring a sense of normalcy and make us all feel better. Even if it’s just making your grandmother’s eggnog recipe.

5. We can put more energy into projects we’ve wanted to tackle.

For the past five years, I’ve wanted to get back into making Christmas ornaments to attach to gifts. My kids and I used to do this together before life got so busy. It’s also a great year to do something for yourself that you’ve wanted to do–learn a new language, take a virtual cooking class, or learn to knit.

6. We can take our time decorating.

Decorating our house for Christmas turned into something I’d rush through so it would be done before my annual cookie swap. It would always sneak up on me and somewhere in between basketball games and Christmas shopping, I’d get it done. But, this year I want to go into the woods and snip red berries. I want to make some decorations and decorate my home in a way that’s completely for the joy of it instead of looking at it as something I need to get done by a certain time.

7. We can relive some old traditions we haven’t done for a while.

When my kids were little, we’d pile in the car and look at the Christmas lights. They’d be wearing their pajamas, and we’d hit the drive-thru for some hot chocolate. They loved it and I loved it. As the years have passed, we’ve gotten too busy to make time for this tradition. We also stopped making cutout sugar cookies and went together to grab a name of a family off the tree– I’ve done it myself in a rush.

This year though, we have time to do these things we are going to. We are all going a bit stir crazy and these are perfect excuses to get out of the house and we have time to enjoy these events and make an evening out of them instead of rushing through them to get them off the list, or not doing them at all.

I’m looking forward to the holidays more than ever this year because I need something to brighten up these dark days. And while I know it won’t be the same, I also know that I have the power to put a positive spin on it even if there will be hard moments.

A positive attitude just feels better than giving up and not celebrating the most magical time of the year. It won’t be the same; maybe it’ll be better.

More to Read:

This Year I’m Replacing Holiday Excess With These 5 Things Instead



Source: https://grownandflown.com/seven-ways-make-christmas-season-happy-for-my-family/

The content is owned by Katie BinghamSmith. Visit site here for other valuable articles.


Share Us Your Thought!

You are invited to share your thought related to the post above in the comment box. You can share about your tips/experiences as parent or as a kid (if you're in that position).

Would You Share The Post?

And if you find it's interesting post and have a value for others, please share it to your friends. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Girl Flees From Officer Dad in Hot Pursuit Over Stolen Cupcakes! [Video]

By: Mary Malcolm It is so adorable how toddlers can’t seem to make up a lie, simply because they are not even familiar with the concept!...