A Teacher Shares What Classrooms Will Look Like in The Fall and It Is Heartbreaking

By: Liz Hall

My social media feed is full of parents weighing their options and trying to decide what they’re going to do when (or if) school opens this fall. One of the hardest parts? The uncertainty of… well, everything.

A teacher named Katie O’Connor understands that uncertainty, and she wanted to show what many classrooms will look like when schools reopen.

Katie O’Connor, a fifth-grade teacher, shared what school classrooms may look like when schools reopen. Source: Facebook/School Unmasked

As she shared in the video’s caption: “I’m not trying to pick a side of should we or shouldn’t we. My goal is to show people — especially parents — just what going back to in-person school will look like so you can make an informed decision for your family.”

UPDATE: wow, thank you everyone for showing so much love and support! It does not go unnoticed. If you are interested in following my journey to create a social distance classroom (and what it’s like once we start) please follow my new page School Unmasked! I will not be accepting any friend requests sent to my private profile. I can’t wait to share the journey with you all!Hey ya'll, I know this is not normal for me to post videos like this: I try to keep my Facebook about the good things. However, as a teacher I feel the need to share what going back to school is going to look like. I'm not trying to pick a side of should we or shouldn't we. My goal is to show people- especially parents- just what going back to in-person school will look like so you can make an informed decision for your family. This video is unedited, real, and a little scattered (as is my brain theses days). I didn't even get around to finishing my classroom so it's only a part 1. If anyone is interested in seeing a final product later this week I can do that.For context: I teach 5th grade in a Title 1 school (low-income) in Colorado Springs. As of now teachers officially report July 29 and students come back August 10.

Posted by Katie O'Connor on Monday, July 20, 2020

And from what I saw in the video? It’s pretty heart breaking.

Katie O’Connor walked viewers through her classroom as she got it ready for the school year. She shared the school’s rules, such as how there should be no shared materials. She talked about clearing out shelves and rearranging desks, and how hard it was to make them at least three feet apart. She said that in many schools, like the school she works at in Colorado, kids are expected to sit at their desks all day long — yes, even for lunch. She said that they’ll still have art class — but the art teacher will come to them with a cart, and they won’t leave the room.

Screenshot: Facebook/Katie O’Connor

More than once she looked like she was about to cry, and honestly, watching it, I teared up. As Katie shared, kids thrive when they can move and interact and socialize. But school is going to look so, so, so different this year.

Welcome!

Welcome to the social distance teacher support group! We are happy to have you here 🙂

Posted by School Unmasked on Thursday, July 23, 2020

But through it all, there’s a bright spot: teachers like Katie. Even in less than ideal circumstances, they are doing whatever they can to create a safe learning environment for our kids.

Learn more about Katie through her Facebook page, School Unmasked.

First Month Free!

Get your first month of Adventure Academy for FREE!



Source: https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/146879/teacher-shares-classrooms-will-look-like/

The content is owned by Liz Hall. Visit site here for other valuable articles.


Share Us Your Thought!

You are invited to share your thought related to the post above in the comment box. You can share about your tips/experiences as parent or as a kid (if you're in that position).

Would You Share The Post?

And if you find it's interesting post and have a value for others, please share it to your friends. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Girl Flees From Officer Dad in Hot Pursuit Over Stolen Cupcakes! [Video]

By: Mary Malcolm It is so adorable how toddlers can’t seem to make up a lie, simply because they are not even familiar with the concept!...