Style at Grown and Flown: The 3 Summer Dresses You Need to Be the Coolest Mom Right Now

By: Pam Harris

They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Here’s my son Josh in impeccable style at graduation last weekend – and the photo actually got picked up by several of the local newspapers!

Best summer dresses for the season

Over the past few years, whenever I would let myself daydream about my youngest son’s graduation at The Cistern Yard at the College of Charleston, I pictured myself flashing a lot of leg in an elegant above-the-knee white dress with super high heels. But then reality sunk in – my legs are not what they used to be and hobbling around campus in high heels in the hot, steamy south seemed like a really bad idea.

Flash forward and this past weekend, yes, was 95° and I wore a gorgeous tea length dress and beautiful low slides. I felt super glamorous, perfectly dressed, and very comfortable. Best of all – the back of my legs did not stick to the chair and I did not end up with huge red marks! Btw, Josh’s white dinner jacket was from TheBlackTux.com – great way to go for rentals.

I’ve completely embraced summer dresses. I love my denim, but easy breezy isn’t what comes to mind when I think about putting on my skinny jeans. So I’m always on the look-out for the “perfect summer dress” (PSD?) and as it turns out, there are plenty to chose from.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

White dresses are not for everyone I will admit, but if you find the right one you like you will feel like a million $$$$$. This Vince twist front halter dress is perfect.

Best summer dresses for the coolest moms
I wasn’t convinced that a shirt dress was for me, but then I tried this on and I bought it on the spot. This stretch cotton dress from Theory is slightly fitted, tea length (my fave!) and the off white color will complement my slightly tan legs.

Best summer dresses for the coolest moms


This Love of My Life dress from Free People can really cover a lot of bases. I think it might be the perfect summer dress, casual with flats, nighttime party with espadrille wedges – just an all-around MVP dress to roll up into a bag for a weekend get-away.

Best summer dresses for the coolest moms
I know we’ve been talking a lot about jumpsuits vs. the summer dress, but honestly this past weekend in Charleston, I saw so many women wearing jumpsuits and they all looked slim, tall and super elegant. Yes, it is a little more difficult to go to the ladies room, but I swear, I feel so amazing whenever I wear my jumpsuits (now plural!). I recently added this cropped v-neck jumpsuit from Halston Heritage to my closet and it’s become my go-to item.

Best summer dresses for the coolest moms
The thing I love most about wearing a summer dress is that it gives you the chance to showcase great shoes whether that’s your favorite sneakers, sandals, wedges or heels. At the top of any/all lists of amazing shoes – these stud flats from Valentino are stunning.

Summer dresses for the coolest momsThese Tory Burch wedge espadrilles will go with all the dresses and denim and can totally be worn into the fall.Summer dresses for the coolest moms
I am really embracing the sneaker/summer dress pairing and these blush tennis sneakers from Cole Haan make me feel a little more “dressed” than your average sneaker.

Up your sneaker/summer dress game
For some reason, we have been totally drawn to monogram necklaces this spring (Pam had posted this one from Anthropologie). In case you didn’t get what you wanted for Mother’s Day – who doesn’t love an M for Mom from Kate Spade? (or pick any letter you like!)

Great gift idea Great gift idea

This neutral Coach saddle bag would complement all these dresses for daytime, and the color is really yummy (it just is, I can’t help it). Coach also offers ways to customize their bags – not just with a monogram, but by adding tea roses, prairie rivets or souvenir pins.

Yummy saddle purse to go with summer dresses

And finally we have to mention that of course we all want that “summer glow”, but the safest way to achieve that is with a great self tanner. This one is 100% clean and non-toxic. A very natural glow develops in just 3 hours and your skin smells good. This is from Organic Pharmacy and has been approved by the guru of all things wellness, Gwyneth Paltrow.

Goop-approved

Summer is the season for effortless style that makes you feel beautiful. These simple pieces are unfussy and have that “I just threw this on and feel great” vibe that we are all trying to achieve. We hope you agree!

XOXO Style at Grown&Flown

Related:

Grown and Flown Spring Style: Transitions Can Be Tricky

Style at Grown and Flown: Looking Sharp at Graduation Events

Style at Grown & Flown: Ciao Winter, Hello Spring!

We are Pam and Mara, Grown and Flown’s new in-house fashion gurus. Based in Brooklyn, we’ve been friends for over 20 years, with four boys, many proms, graduations, beach vacations and birthday dinners between us.
Mara’s been living in jeans and t-shirts working in the fashion world in London, Milan, LA, and NYC, producing editorial and ad shoots for over two decades. Pam’s been suiting up for the corporate world as a chief marketing officer in the live entertainment/sports business.
We’ve always been a little obsessed with style and how we use clothes to help us feel attractive and self-confident. You’ll often find us yelling at each other over dressing room walls, or trading texts at midnight about that one pair of size 8 boots left on sale online at Nordstroms. But over time, we’ve found that dressing and feeling great has become much more challenging. And that’s even more frustrating now that every moment has turned into a photo opp.

We want to feel comfortable and appropriate with our style choices so that we can face the world each morning with confidence and ease. We’re in search of cool, effortless style that makes us feel amazing and powerful at this very age.

Please join us at Grown & Flown as we venture forth into this new world together.

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave



Source: https://grownandflown.com/style-grown-flown-3-summer-dresses-need-coolest-mom/

The content is owned by Pam Harris. Visit site here for other valuable articles.


Share Us Your Thought!

You are invited to share your thought related to the post above in the comment box. You can share about your tips/experiences as parent or as a kid (if you're in that position).

Would You Share The Post?

And if you find it's interesting post and have a value for others, please share it to your friends. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Girl Flees From Officer Dad in Hot Pursuit Over Stolen Cupcakes! [Video]

By: Mary Malcolm It is so adorable how toddlers can’t seem to make up a lie, simply because they are not even familiar with the concept!...