One Surprising Stepfamily Lesson Learned from the Seat of My Bike

By: Mike Anderson

Choices

…as I pedaled closer to that hill, I had a choice to make.  I could get off and walk.  But trying to walk any distance in cycling shoes is silly — plus, my inner voice would have really taunted me about being a wuss!  I could turn back.  But I knew that I'd be home much quicker if I just tackled the hill.

In her book Grit, Angela Duckworth says, "Enthusiasm is common. Endurance is rare."

The enthusiasm I had at the beginning of this ride was now gone.  The only thing that made sense was to endure the hill.  I had to trade my enthusiasm for endurance.  So I dropped a gear, set my sight on the top of that hill and pedaled on.

Endurance Is Critical

Sooner or later you have to make a choice.

Obstacles are going show up out of nowhere on your blended family journey.  You're going to be at the bottom of your proverbial hill with your kids yelling for what they want and your partner puffing and wheezing out their own complaints.

Your enthusiasm will be at an all-time low and you'll need to choose.  Will you turn back, allowing that hill to conquer you and end up back on that lonely country road farther from home than you really want to be?  Or will you pedal on, drawing on the endurance you know you can tap into and keep yourself focused on getting to the other side of the hill?

Arriving Home

It felt great to get home after that ride.  Not just because I could finally dismount my bike…but because I tackled the hill.  I didn't let it conquer me, and guess what — I discovered that the hill wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

After 17 years of facing unexpected obstacles in our stepfamily, I've had that same feeling of getting home over and over.  Kim and I have tackled a lot of pain and heartache on our journey and every time we get to the other side of our "hills" we experience one more victory.  Often, we realize the hill wasn't as bad as we thought it would be when we were looking at it from the bottom.

You might be facing your own hill right now.  You're looking at what's ahead and wondering if you can really make it.  You might be thinking of turning back, but realize that road is even longer and lonelier than setting your sights ahead and tackling the hill. 

I want to encourage you to endure.  Stay focused on getting over that hill and keep "pedaling".  The choice you make at the bottom of that hill will determine how and when you and your whole family will get to arrive home.

Final Thought

I want to be clear that I am not making light of major obstacles.  Sometimes endurance simply isn't enough — step-couples need practical help. 

If that's you please reach out for the support you need.  Make sure the help you receive comes from someone who is experienced in supporting blended family couples.  Advice that suggests first family principles to a blended family might unintentionally create more conflict rather than bring healing.

Kim and I are here to connect you with the support you need.  Don't wait - reach out today.

QUESTION:  What "hill" are you facing in this season and how will you endure it?  Leave a comment below…



Source: https://support.mikeandkimcoaching.com/blog/one-surprising-stepfamily-lesson-learned-from-the-seat-of-my-bike

The content is owned by Mike Anderson. Visit site here for other valuable articles.


Share Us Your Thought!

You are invited to share your thought related to the post above in the comment box. You can share about your tips/experiences as parent or as a kid (if you're in that position).

Would You Share The Post?

And if you find it's interesting post and have a value for others, please share it to your friends. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Girl Flees From Officer Dad in Hot Pursuit Over Stolen Cupcakes! [Video]

By: Mary Malcolm It is so adorable how toddlers can’t seem to make up a lie, simply because they are not even familiar with the concept!...